Wednesday 31 March 2021

TV woes, Take 2

Another stub. Another day hijacked by technology nonsense. 

We had ordered a new Bell Satellite TV receiver/PVR yesterday, to replace the one in our living room that was no longer sending audio to the TV. Today, someone from Bell called and told us they didn't think we could use the model we had ordered. She couldn't explain why this was so - or why it was suspected to be so. 

She gave me a number to call where they could explain, she promised, and would help me select an appropriate model. The number she gave turned out to just put me into the main Bell customer service queue. I was not best pleased.

The upshot was that we decided to postpone replacing the supposedly malfunctioning PVR. We would try and get an older receiver that we have, that we hadn't used for a couple of years, working in the living room to replace the broken one.

Four hours and three tech support calls later, I put everything back the way it had been, having achieved absolutely nada. I did, however, score a technician's call - for Friday - which they assured me I would not have to pay for. If the technician who comes is as good and experienced as some who have come in the past, he might even be able to figure out what's wrong with the original receiver. Here's hoping. 

*

I did get out for a run this morning, accompanied by Fred Douglass. (He's still in the British Isles, still wowing audiences and annoying colleagues.) But had no walk this afternoon.

In odd moments, I did continue with renovating winter 2016 pictures - from late February and early March in Valencia. The first two are of a magnificent giant fig tree in a park in the centre of the city. I've photographed it many times.



By early March, the preparations for Fallas, Valencia's end-of-winter festival, are well underway, especially in the Ruzafa neighbourhood, where some of the best falla - giant tableaux made of wood, styrofoam and acrylic paint- are built. Artisans are unwrapping the component parts, piecing them together, touching up paintwork. Karen and I kept going back to the neighbourhood to watch the progress. It's quite exciting.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Too hot!

I was starting to think The Plague Years  might be dead, but no, here I am again, after a four-day break.  Summer has arrived in southwester...