Friday 23 April 2021

Spring returns

For the first time in weeks, I went out to exercise this morning without Fred Douglass - not because my audiobook has expired, although it will soon, but because I've had a migraine since late last night and couldn't bear the earbuds in my ears.

As a result, I've got very little to write about. I could point out that if the Democratic bill seeking to turn the District of Columbia into a state makes it, by some miracle, through the Senate, the 52nd state would be called Washington, Douglass Commonwealth. It's a bit of a mouthful but pays fitting tribute to the great orator, who lived the last years of his life in Washington.

*

I worked on more of my winter 2012 pictures. The day we took Shelly Rowe to see the City of Arts and Sciences, I took more pictures of Santiago Calatrava's and FĂ©lix Candela's crazy buildings. I think we read somewhere that the project - it was built between 1996 and 2009 - went over budget by €70 million.




I was still hot on taking pictures of street art right up until the end of our time in the city. This one was taken in Carmen.



This last shot of Valencia is a bit of a mystery. The women are wearing the traditional embroidered gowns worn at the Fallas festival. It appears they're involved in a photo shoot. The mystery is, why were they taking pictures of Fallas costumes when that year's festival was well and truly over. I took the picture on March 31 in the square behind the cathedral. Fallas ends March 19.



Not long after Shelly went home, Karen and I left Valencia and flew to Rome, where we met Caitlin and spent a week sightseeing. Not sure which church this is. It ain't the Sistine Chapel, but it does have its fair share of frescoes.


















*

I went out for a walk in the late afternoon. The sun was in and out, temperature up to about 17 - reportedly. A meagre haul of pictures.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Too hot!

I was starting to think The Plague Years  might be dead, but no, here I am again, after a four-day break.  Summer has arrived in southwester...